Inspirational Quotes!!

Monday, November 30, 2009

Curiosity



Life seemed so beautiful back then
With my childhood friends I had so much fun
Everyday seemed new
They taught me all the things I never knew

“Stop dawdling away your time” yelled my parents
Coercing me to ignore their existence
Taming their presence every now and then
I miss my friends named What, Why, Who, Where, How and When

Penning these words in their remembrance
I still hope for their magical reappearance

Sometimes we all lament over the loss of wonder and curiosity we had in our lives while we were kids.

If you are aiming for personal growth and experiencing a more fulfilling life then it is worth improving your curiosity quotient.

Why should we be more curious?


Wasn’t it your curiosity that taught you more than anything else when you stepped into this world?
The only way a toddler learns about his world is by exploring the things around him out of curiosity.
The benefits of curiosity are underestimated and even frowned upon once we step into the adult world.

Source of Happiness and Motivation

Todd Kashdan , a psychology professor talks about the link between curiosity and happiness in his book “ Curious? Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life”.
He says that curious people have a higher sense of wellbeing probably because they are always exploring and trying new things.
When we move out of our comfort zone to try something new, our brain produces a chemical known as Dopamine.
Dopamine kicks in whenever we are in an unfamiliar situation.
In curious people this high level of Dopamine generates a feeling of wellbeing and keeps them in a constant high-spirited state.
Also when we try new activities by overcoming our fear we feel a deep sense of accomplishment which skyrockets our motivation levels.


A Mind stimulant


Curiosity is what separates a mediocre person from a genius.
Think of Thomas Edison, Leonardo da Vinci and Albert Einstein.
Like our body craving for oxygen, our brain craves for constant stimulation in the form of new experiences. Lack of such stimulation causes gradual atrophy of brain cells leading to mental ailments like dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.

Though some people are naturally curious by nature this trait is not inborn.
So the good news is that each one of us can cultivate curiosity.
With repeated practice it would become more effortless and natural.

So aren't you curious how curious you can become?
Drop me a note to share your thoughts


“I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious” - Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want More articles?

More Articles

About Me

My photo
Being trained in psychology, I hope to share some insights through my blog. May it be a source of daily inspiration for all.